Pages

Tuesday 30 April 2013

Jason Collins Talks Aftermath of Coming Out


He made headlines with the revelation of his homosexual orientation, and Jason Collins couldn’t be more relieved to have it all out in the open.
The NBA star says he struggled with when to make his secret known, and the Boston Marathon bombings "reinforced the notion that I shouldn't wait for the circumstances of my coming out to be perfect. Things can change in an instant, so why not live truthfully?"
“I endured years of misery and went to enormous lengths to live a lie. I think the country is ready for supporting an openly gay basketball player."
As for the support he’s received thus far, Jason gushed, "I know that I, right now, am the happiest I've ever been in my life. A huge weight has been lifted. I've already been out to my family and my friends, but just to, you know, sort of rip the Band-Aid off and come out on my own terms … I hope that every player makes a decision that leads to their own happiness."
Collins also hopes that his example will help other gay athletes be bold about their sexuality. "I'm ready to raise my hand but, you know, you still look around like, 'OK, come on, guys.’ It's time for someone else in the room to raise their hand and say, 'You know what? Yeah, so big deal. I can still play basketball. I can still help the team win, and that's what's most important.' "
Unfortunately your browser does not support IFrames.
Photo Credit: ABC

No comments:

Post a Comment