Pages

Saturday 19 May 2012

Drogba: Fate was with Blues

Didier Drogba claimed Chelsea's name was on the cup after scoring the penalty which ended Roman Abramovich's quest to conquer Europe.
The Blues delivered their owner's greatest wish with a shoot-out success against Bayern Munich in the German club's home stadium.
Drogba, who scored the 88th-minute equaliser which earned a 1-1 draw and extra-time, kept his nerve to score from the spot after Juan Mata and two Bayern players had missed.
And, after a backs-to-the-wall effort which came close to matching their semi-final defeat of Barcelona, the striker said: "It was written, I think, a long time ago.
"We never give up until the end. This team is amazing. I want to dedicate this cup to all the managers we've had before, all the players I've played with before.
"It was an amazing game. It was a crazy game. I was confident before I took the penalty. I wanted to score for my team-mates. I wanted to make Chelsea smile."
Drogba is out of contract next month, and the winning kick could yet turn out to be his last for the club, but he side-stepped questions about his future.
He said: "I don't think we can take decisions in emotional moments like this. The most important thing is not my future, the most important thing is what we have achieved."Roberto Di Matteo stonewalled questions about his future after delivering Roman Abramovich's dream in Munich.
Chelsea's penalty shoot-out success - after a 1-1 draw with Bayern - made them the first London club to win the Champions League or its predecessor.
Abramovich has craved the trophy since arriving at Stamford Bridge, but the Blues owner is apparently undecided about giving Di Matteo the manager's job full-time.
Asked about his position, the Italian said: "I won't talk about it now. I just want to enjoy the moment, to go out and celebrate with the players.
"Whatever the club decides I will respect, it's as simple as that."
Di Matteo, who also secured the FA Cup this month, put his success down to his players, saying: "We have a group with a big heart, passion, motivation and desire.
"That was the only way to be able to achieve this trophy. It's been an immense effort by the whole group - staff, players - and we are very happy."
He also had a word for former boss Andre Villas-Boas, adding: "I think AVB deserves credit because he started last summer with this team, and built the foundation for it."

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone provided by Airtel Nigeria.

No comments:

Post a Comment