Pages

Tuesday 3 January 2012

Alesha Quits Strictly For Britain's Got Talent

Lucy Cotter, Entertainment Correspondent
Alesha Dixon is swapping sides, leaving the BBC's Strictly Come Dancing to become a judge on ITV's Britain's Got Talent.
The star, who joined the show three series ago, is reportedly being paid £350,000 for her new role.
Dixon replaced Arlene Phillips on the dancing panel in 2009 and faced a fierce backlash when the BBC was accused of ageism.
In a statement, the former Mis-Teeq singer said: "After three incredible years on the Strictly Come Dancing judging panel I have decided that it is time to move on.
"Strictly Come Dancing will always hold a special place in my heart as it has been such
an amazing experience, both as a winning competitor and as a judge".
Simon Cowell will also be re-joining the panel of Britain's Got Talent (BGT) this year along with Amanda Holden and new addition David Walliams.
Cowell, who spent last year concentrating on American X Factor, said he wants to find a better winner on BGT than on The X Factor.
He said: "I miss Britain and I miss the British public and I miss judging them.
"I've worked in America all this year and it was great to go back to America, but now I've kind of got itchy feet again.
"By coming back in 2012, it's the year of the Olympics, it's a big year for Britain, we are going to be in the world's spotlight and I want this show to be back in the world's spotlight."
He said he also wants to change the perception of the show, making it clear they are not just looking for opera stars like Paul Potts and Susan Boyle.
"I love originality, I love great singers, I love great comedians. I love things I've never seen before. Everyone thinks I hate magicians, well I hate bad magicians, but I'd love to find a great magician.
"I'd like to find the next Nsync or the next backstreet Boys, the next Justin Bieber," he said.
"I've always dreamt about finding a dog who can play guitar. And we've failed. So I want talented dogs. I really want one that can dance or can play an instrument."
The first Britain's Got Talent open audition will take place on January 22.
Dixon's replacement is yet to be announced but the bookmaker William Hill currently has professional dancer Karen Hardy as 4/6 favourite to replace her with Arlene Phillips on 33/1.

No comments:

Post a Comment